RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: 25% off of MSRP realistic?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> 25% off of MSRP realistic?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/12 07:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no magic or magic numbers…the dealer knows what he will take for the unit before you enter the door… they do this for a living and are much more experienced than you, its their livelihood… they are going to get a FMV for the unit before they sell it to you…

if you think you are going in there and tell them what the deal is they are not going to take you seriously or if you think you can just take a quote from a wholesaler and demand a price match you will never even get their best offer… no sense wasting their time or yours…

unless you know the invoice prices you will have to find out what they are already selling for elsewhere… this will most likely be 10% to 15% above their investment… and remember apples to apples might be difficult to find…

there is no set reduction from MSRP that would apply to all makes and models, or locations, the cost and MSRP on options can add a lot of flexibility to the mfg and the dealer compared to the base unit, and change often… working off the MSRP is backward thinking that gives the dealer the upper hand…

Trading may or may not make sense… sure they make money twice, but they have to clean and make ready twice, pay commission twice, and usually have to make some kind of guarantees with the sale…

You have to do your homework and figure out what the ACV of your trade is, not what you think it is worth… you may come out at about the same place without the headache and time of selling it yourself… especially if you are pricing for a quick sale…

The key to a good price is knowledge, the key to a good deal is the sales staff seeing you acquired sufficient knowledge and have a reasonable attitude…
There just are no magic or silver bullets to use…

Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

kpconnell

Seattle, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/12 07:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe NADA maintains an MSRP as a baseline for most make/models.

http://nadaguides.com

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/12 07:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I won't try to talk you out of the new one, as once someone gets that itch for something new, not much can sway them, but what I will suggest is not only is 25% off MSRP realistic, you should try to sell your old unit on your own if you can afford to and just apply what you get for it on the loan. YOu will come out much better than a trade in where they will play a numbers game and maKe you think you are getting a better deal than you really are. It takes time to sell on your own though, so you have to factor in if this is going to work for you. For me that is what I have done in the past, except once when I just didn't want to fool with it. I could have made out much better selling privately though.

Do your homework first on what the make and models you are looking for are going for elsewhere so that your offers you make are realistic.

GaryWT

MA

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/12 07:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, maybe it is where I am, maybe it is the way dealers price but if we get 10% maybe 12% off we are doing good. Might be off the asking prive and not the MSRP but when we bought our trailer that was the best we could get no matter what dealer we went to.

ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR

remoandiris

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/12 07:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was at my local independent shop a few weeks ago. The shop owner and a DP owner discussed new RV costs. The shop owner said dealers get cost plus 10% on new RVs. That is the max banks will finance, so that is what dealers get, regardless of what the MSRP is.

2011 GMC 3500 Dually
New to me 2006 Jayco Designer 38RDQS
2 Boxers and a Maine Coon

BigBoy11

Chambersburg, PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/12 10:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If NADA guide is correct, my TT is worth 15k more than I paid for it new!

wbwood

Mooresville/Troutman, NC area

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/12 10:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BigBoy11 wrote:

If NADA guide is correct, my TT is worth 15k more than I paid for it new!

Dealers will tell you that NADA numbers are not right..

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

spadoctor

Clinton Corners, NY

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/12 07:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just bought a new TT. We got 25% off retail and a trade value of half way between high and low RETAIL. I researched the one we wanted to buy on the net and found his price was below other dealers all across the nation. I spent about 3 hours on the net getting my info and feel I got a good deal. Remember buying with a trade and a unit off the lot are considerations. He needs to resell yours and has paid floorplan on the stock unit. Also it seems that the market has improved a lot in the last 2 years for new unit sales.

dspencer

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/12 07:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

remoandiris wrote:

I was at my local independent shop a few weeks ago. The shop owner and a DP owner discussed new RV costs. The shop owner said dealers get cost plus 10% on new RVs. That is the max banks will finance, so that is what dealers get, regardless of what the MSRP is.

That isn't completely correct as i have a friend in finance department of a fair size RV dealership and they have banks doing 100% of MSRP every day. I was just offered 38% off of MSRP on a new Trailer with an MSRP in the mid $20K range with no problem.

Duck

Miami Lakes, Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/12 10:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I ordered my current trailer I got a copy of the order sheet that the dealer fills out to send to the manufacturer. I was able to see the MSRP on the trailer and the options that I wanted on my trailer. This was verified by two dealers on the same model.
Don

08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> 25% off of MSRP realistic?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts