|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> What size generator to buy

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
primetimerver

Emerald Isle

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/13 11:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 19 ft. Palomino G-215 Ultra Lite TT with a 15,000 BTU AC and am looking to buy a portable generator to take with camping. What size generator will I need? In looking at the Honda 2000 and 3000 models, neither say they will power that size of an AC. If I go larger, then the generators weigh so much seems like it will be hard to transport both on the road and at campsite. Any suggestions?

post moved from TT Forum to Tech Issues Forum

Moderator - TT Forum

* This post was edited 03/02/13 09:42pm by an administrator/moderator *

trop-a-cal

Palm Coast Fl

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/13 11:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes a 5500 is needed.

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/13 11:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would try to find a 3000 honda to try out first. see if it will run that big a/c. Are you sure it's a 15K? most 19 ft TT only have a 13.5K a/c. you have to think of other things in the TT also, not just the a/c. add up all the 120v items and add the amps watts needed to run them all at once and then add 25% more watts and that is what you need.

Goldstalker

Fairfield, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/13 11:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you could parallel two of the Honda2 2000's and be OK.

2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4X4 3.73
2013 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB
2-2012 Yamaha VX Deluxe
2012 Toyota Highlander

mbopp

Henrietta, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/13 11:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A single Honda 2000i probably won't run the AC but will run everything else. A single Yamaha 2400 can run a 13500BTU AC, my brother does it on his 5er.
So, either a single Yamaha, dual Honda 2000i's, or a Honda 3000 would be your choices with name-brand units.
If you can forgo the AC a single Honda would do, and it's lighter than a 3000 or Yamaha 2400.

2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2012 F-150 XLT Ecoboost ("EcoBeast") supercab
Just DW & me......

canadiankid

Langley BC Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/13 11:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

old guy wrote:

I would try to find a 3000 honda to try out first. see if it will run that big a/c. Are you sure it's a 15K? most 19 ft TT only have a 13.5K a/c. you have to think of other things in the TT also, not just the a/c. add up all the 120v items and add the amps watts needed to run them all at once and then add 25% more watts and that is what you need.

Well this might be great if you need to run your AC and Microwave and etc.. all at the same time, but this would be a waste 95% of the time (specially when the OP is concerned with weight). I would find a gen that will start your AC and use it to run your stuff one at a time (microwave or AC). Two Honda 2000 should be more than enough for your needs (and the nice thing is when you are not in need of the AC you could just use one). As was stated I would check to see if your AC is in fact a 15K (because most in your trailer size would be smaller) and in that case a Yamaha 2400 might work for you.

This is just my opinion but hopefully it helps.

Don.

2010 Tundra Crewmax 2WD 5.7
2009 Greywolf 22BH

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/13 11:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I first got my RV trailers that was the first thing I wanted to buy was a Generator set to run my air conditioner when camping off the power grid. Right away I found out that most of the public camping locations here on the East side of the US including the Natl Parks etc all had generator run time restrictions in place and I didn't find any public place that would allow me to run my generator after 8PM at night. You being from NC you may run into the same problem as far as being able to run your generator anytime you want to.

With this in mind I decided the best route for me was to beef-up my trailer battery system to run all the 120VAC and 12VDC items we wanted to have "ON" when camping off the power grid and go with the plan we would run silent from our battery bank for the one day/night camping run and then re-charge the battery bank the next morning during the ALLOWED generator run time.

The 2KW Honda EU2000i generator is well suited to do this for me... I will connect the 30A Trailer Shore Power Connector directly to the 2W Honda Generator 120VAC receptacle using a RV30A-15A "dogbone" type 18-inch long adapter and with smart-mode charging technology can re-charge my battery bank to 90% charge state in a short three hour generator run time so that I can do all of this all over again for the next day/night battery run time.

[image] [image]

I keep my 2W generator in the tail-gate corner of my truck bed which is secured to inside wall of the truck bed. The truck bed is covered with one of the lockable FOLD-A-COVER folding hard plastic panels which keeps the generator as secure as I can when not using it. I just pull it out onto the dropped tail gate when I need to use it. My generator will go where I go and hopefully this will keep it safe from thief.

Roy Ken

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

tempforce

Oregun Pacific Wonderland (in the summers)

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/13 11:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i have a honda eu2000 and it runs my 15,000 btu a/c unit, along with a directv receiver and a small led tv.
but if you need to run anything else,.. turn off the a/c.
make sure the fridge, water heater, etc. is all on gas or you will trip the overload…
i should mention, my batteries are not being charged by the inverter...

somewhere in the texas 'lost pines'
currently without rv.
'13' Ford Fusion
'83' Ford Ranger with a 2.2 Diesel.
'56' Ford F100, 4.6 32 valve v8, crown vic front suspension.
downsizing from a 1 ton diesel and a 32' trailer, to a 19-21' trailer for the '56'.

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/13 11:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What size gen do i need?

jrichard

Sacramento

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/13 12:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a Honda EU3000. It ran a 13.5k BTU a/c and many other items at the same time (though sometimes it would overload with the a/c and vaccuum).

My new trailer has a 15k BTU a/c. I got rid of the EU3000 and bought 2x Honda EU2000. Parallel, they have no problem running the a/c plus other items at 6000 feet elevation. If you want to run your a/c on one of the EU2000s, you're on the edge. I know people have reported they've done it, but I doubt you can do it at any elevation and you'll probably need a hard start capacitor. (My a/c would not run on a single EU2000 at 6000 ft. I'll try running it on one at +/- sea level on my next trip.)

I like the 2x EU2000 set up more than 1x EU3000 mainly because of weight. The small generators weigh +/- 50lbs each...so they are easy to move around. The EU3000 weights +/- 150lbs. So, if I'm not planning on running the a/c (which is often), I'll just throw one of the 2000s in the truck.

Pros for the EU3000: it is slightly quieter and has a more pleasant sound. Plus I now have two generators to maintain, store, move around, etc., vs. one.

Price wise, 2x 2000 and 1x 3000 are similar.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> What size generator to buy
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS